Wednesday 22 January 2014

Barman Attempts To Arrest Tony Blair At Restaurant


A barman has tried to put former British Prime Minister, Tony Blair, under a citizen’s arrest while the former British leader was out having dinner.

The incident happened on Friday at a restaurant called Tramshed in Shoreditch, east London, where the barman was working.


According to Mr. Garcia in an interview he granted Vice.com, “He was sitting at the head of a table upstairs in the restaurant with about eight other people eating dinner. I think he was out with his family and a few friends. I went over to him, put my hand on his shoulder and said: Mr Blair, this is a citizen’s arrest for a crime against peace, namely your decision to launch an unprovoked war against Iraq. I am inviting you to accompany me to a police station to answer the charge.”

Mr Garcia told Vice magazine how Blair then attempted to engage in a debate before one of his son’s went to get security. The worker then left the restaurant to avoid any trouble and quit his job in the process.

When contacted, Mr Blair’s office said there ‘was nothing to report’ about the incident.

A fifth of Britons believe that Tony Blair and George Bush should be arrested and face trial for starting the war in Iraq.

Mr Garcia was inspired to approach the former Prime Minister after reading website arrestblair.org.

This site encourages people to try and arrest Blair for ‘crimes against peace’and promises a cash reward to people attempting a peaceful citizens arrest on the former PM.

According to Mr. Garcia, “I feel great. Lots of people have been contacting me to say well done. I’m still in disbelief that I got the opportunity to citizen’s arrest the former Prime Minister”.

When asked if he would do it again if he had the opportunity he said: “I’d probably get someone to film it. I was scared to get my phone out in case it was confiscated by his bodyguards”.

No comments:

Post a Comment