Tuesday 22 April 2014

School Girls Abduction: Borno State Governor Says, The Last One Week Has Been My Worst Days On Earth

Borno State Governor, Kashim Shettima has said the last one week has been his worst days on earth, since 129 girls were abducted from Government Secondary School, Chibok by Boko Haram members last week Monday.

He said 52 out of the 129 students have managed to escape, while 77 are still missing. According to him, it’s even more sad for him because he is a father and this happened in a state he governs. He urged parents to please report to School authorities in case any of their daughters return home, so that they the school can have a proper record of the on-going incident. Below is part of what he said in a press statement;

“I have seen very serious moments since I became the governor of Borno State in 2011 at a period of insurgent crisis. I have seen many innocent lives lost for no reason and I mourn every life lost with empathy and high sense of responsibility.

“But the last one week has been my worst days as a governor and even the worst in my life. I am troubled as a father, as a leader and as a politician.

“First, as a father, any time my young daughter comes around me in the last one week at the Government House, my heart beats very fast, my heart becomes so heavy and I develop serious headache because when I look into the eyes of my young daughter, I wonder how the parents of these our students feel when faced with the harsh reality that their loving daughters are either in the hands of abductors in fear and desperation for freedom or wondering somewhere looking for safety while parents do not know the status of their children.

“I took a sympathetic note of one particular parent who reportedly said he preferred seeing his daughter’s body than the trauma of having her abducted. It is my very strong hope that all the students will come out of 
abduction safely.

“But as a father to a girl-child, I know exactly what is currently troubling the minds of parents and relations who are yet to see their children. I am deeply pained and I very much share the agony of parents.

“More than everyone, as the leader, in whose area of governance this unfortunate incident took place, I am very anxious to have our daughters freed because I know very well that the most important obligation of any government, be it at the Federal, state or local government level, is to ensure the safety and welfare of its good citizens.

No comments:

Post a Comment